CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Wireless Devices Face Epidemic Of Viruses, IBM Predicts !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 760 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Wireless Devices Face Epidemic Of Viruses, IBM Predicts ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wireless Devices Face Epidemic Of Viruses, IBM Predicts ! - 2/10/2005 9:09:12 AM   
SiliconFreak

In what International Business Machines Corp. calls a "new and troubling trend," 2005 should see an epidemic of viruses and worms attacking handheld devices, cellphones, wireless networks and embedded computers, which include car and satellite communication systems.

The IBM Global Business Security Index Report for 2004, written by Big Blue's Global Security Intelligence Services team, reported that e-mail worms and viruses wreaked the most havoc on corporate networks in 2004. Worms such as Bagle, NetSky and Mydoom led the pack in the number of variants and overall impact.

During the latter part of 2004, a growing number of viruses aimed at personal digital assistants and other mobile devices, such as the Cabir worm, were also released.

Based on early indicators, IBM predicts that such worms will likely be used by copycats and may spur an epidemic of viruses aimed at mobile devices.

"After a year like 2004, many IT departments feel beaten down from combatting viruses like Mydoom and NetSky," IBM's director of security strategy Stuart McIrvine said.

The Security Index report says mobile devices -- such as PDAs and cellphones -- are the new frontier for viruses, spam and other potential security threats. Bluetooth and other wireless technologies that connect mobile devices pose new exposures for hackers to target.

Source : TheGlobeAndMail
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Wireless Devices Face Epidemic Of Viruses, IBM Predicts ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI