CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

PC crippled By Windows XP Service Pack 2 !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 813 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> PC crippled By Windows XP Service Pack 2 ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PC crippled By Windows XP Service Pack 2 ! - 2/9/2005 6:36:56 PM   
WinThusiast

SERVICE PACK 2 for XP sucks. I blame myself, and maybe I had no choice, but SP2 has essentially turned my PC from a reasonably fast system into some hobbling, geriatric. Boot times used to average one minute. Now, it's over two and half minutes before I can actually open anything. Maybe Intel and Microsoft have some kind of new deal? Am I alone? I doubt it. But first, before some of you think I'm going to join the long, tedious line of Microsoft haters, a disclaimer.

Disclaimer
Microsoft is an easy target. It's very big and rich and (in)famous. So, like George W Bush it takes a lot of crap for being in the public eye all of the time. Although, let's be fair, Georgie Porgie gets slapped all day because he's thicker than two really thick things strapped together. Somewhere right now, an FBI geek in a Quantico basement is pulling Web articles using the keywords 'Bush' and 'thick/stoopid' and my name is being transferred to some list of deviants. Just so we lower the casualty rate G-man, I'm in Galway, on the west coast of Ireland, before some wedding party in Dublin (that's east coast, George) receives a unscheduled gift from a low-flying F-16. Anyway, for me, being famous is not enough reason to hate you. I might envy you a little (psychotic, green-eyed, out-of-control madness) your wealth, your harem of groupies and the six Bugattis in your mansion-sized garage, but I stop short of 'dissing' you for the hell of it. Also, I remember gaming in the DOS era. 'Nuff said. Disclaimer ends.

But, Microsoft software controls the world's PCs. More importantly, it controls my PC. As such, one of my new year resolutions was to take better care of my system. I realise I'm a little late to the SP2 for XP party but there are a number of reasons for that. I've never been a big fan of scheduled updates and patches and anti-virus runs. They tended to interfere with my ability to surf the Net for news in my capacity as a scribbler. A thin excuse, but true. I could also say that I read all the security experts' advice that said while it was a good idea to get SP2, it was also good to wait a while. I could lie, but I won't. I read zilch. There was also a smidgen of laziness thrown into the mix – OK, a large dollop. Last year though, I went all safe, turned over a new leaf, cast off my shackles of sloth and let automated updates rule my mornings.

All except for XP updates – largely because the patch files were so goddamn big. I should explain that broadband has yet to reach me in my semi-rural abode, as I am exactly a quarter of a mile too far from my nearest broadband enabled exchange. Also, the cost of both ISDN and satellite broadband here would give you a nosebleed. Take note, eircom, get your finger out! So, my online life, is dependent on a wee 56Kbps modem. Regardless, I'd download the XP patches in the evening, if a few weeks late. This year though, I resolved to make homeland security top of my list of priorities, along with more exercise, less alcohol and less carbohydrates. One out of four ain't bad. I decided to get SP2. At 75Mb, my modem begged for mercy, so I let it run overnight, hoping my connection would hold up.

Timeline to Disaster
Day 1: Yippee! The download was successful. I rebooted and after a slow boot I was informed that SP2 was now all mine and I let it get on with its updating. After which, I rebooted, and yet again it was slow but I put it all down to part of the updating process.

Day 2: Suspicion, coupled with furrowed brow, was my response on the morning of day two. My PC was really slow in booting up but again I thought it's probably just some 'update' thing. Hell, I had a muffin, I was happy – what the hell?

Day 3: My PC was greeted by flying spittle and a colourful montage of expletives involving anatomy, maternal figures and copulation.

Day 4-14: Every day since then has been one of resignation that my PC has bypassed middle age and gone straight to prehistoric.

OK, you may be saying, so your PC system has slowed down a bit and some of the applications don't work well anymore, but at least you are secure and up to date. Really? Shortly after I discovered my PC was crawling to work every morning I decided a investigation was needed. A little late, maybe, but I'm human. Apparently, the experts regard SP2 as less of an upgrade and more of a completely new operating system. As such, it has a few 'little' problems and vulnerabilities to sort. Also, I discovered that there are still around 50 applications that SP2 does not like – down from an initial list of 200. That makes me so much happier. Unfortunately, they include the versions of Norton Antivirus and ZoneAlarm that I use, which has made for some interesting mornings. On Tuesday, Microsoft's monthly updates totalled eight 'critical' ones for XP and SP2. what's worse, is that none of them address other vulnerabilities highlighted by security firms and outlined previously in the INQ.

I know Microsoft has never been good at software testing, it's old hat. After all who else uses its customer base as the test-bed? But, I thought the idea of the service pack upgrades - and all patches - was to make users' lives easier. Is that too much to ask for? Please tell me I'm not the only one out there suffering SP2 aftermath?

Hello, is there anybody out there?
Hello?
Damn, I've crashed.

Source : TheInquirer
Post #: 1
RE: PC crippled By Windows XP Service Pack 2 ! - 2/9/2005 7:01:09 PM   
MP3Mogul

LOL!

I've seen these postings all over the web. I had no problem on 3 of 4 systems, but my laptop does not like SP2 as well, so I have removed it from the laptop, but the rest of the systems are fine.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to WinThusiast)
Post #: 2
RE: PC crippled By Windows XP Service Pack 2 ! - 2/9/2005 7:19:58 PM   
T3TRISizer

I also have it (SP2) from DAY1....and so far...NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!...although I know that it might cause problems with some configurations...but as long as people stick with INTEL-M$ combination...everything should be OK...

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 3
RE: PC crippled By Windows XP Service Pack 2 ! - 2/10/2005 8:54:27 AM   
S33K3R

best bet in upgrading to sp2 seems to be a clean install of a slipstreams xp cd w/sp2

(in reply to T3TRISizer)
Post #: 4
RE: PC crippled By Windows XP Service Pack 2 ! - 2/11/2005 8:36:33 AM   
SiliconFreak

I agree S33k3r...clean install is always the best thing to do...but...I must say that I used XP at the beginning(clean install)...then added SP1 after some 6 months...and finally after some year or so of using SP1...I finally added SP2 (when it came out last year)...and so far...everything works ZEHR GUT!...no problems...just pure raw power...

Enjoy guys...

< Message edited by SiliconFreak -- 2/11/2005 8:37:50 AM >

(in reply to S33K3R)
Post #: 5
RE: PC crippled By Windows XP Service Pack 2 ! - 2/15/2005 9:59:07 AM   
S33K3R

Yea I updated a couple machines with sp2 and they worked fine.
However I updated others and a few had issues, ended up dong clean install and reinstalled all the programs and all was good again.
Installing updating to sp2 is not bad for the most part but it is definetely YMMV.

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> PC crippled By Windows XP Service Pack 2 ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI