UDF and Linux (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Packet Writing

foxy -> UDF and Linux (1/30/2005 1:28:10 PM)

I've got a CDRW burnt using InCD in WinXP. Is it possible to read it in Linux. Alll I have when I mount it is system files. I do not need to write to it because my new NEC does not support packet writing anyway.

emperor -> RE: UDF and Linux (2/1/2005 3:39:04 AM)

Foxy may i ask if this just something you wanted to share or you ask something?

foxy -> RE: UDF and Linux (2/1/2005 3:49:56 AM)

Oh, I forgot a question mark after
quote:

Is it possible to read it in Linux.
So that was a question...

emperor -> RE: UDF and Linux (2/1/2005 3:50:57 AM)

I think if you burn at UDF format, then it would be possible to read, i don't know if there is any InCD UDF reader for Linux...

foxy -> RE: UDF and Linux (2/1/2005 3:54:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: emperor

I think if you burn at UDF format, then it would be possible to read, i don't know if there is any InCD UDF reader for Linux...

I did it with my old Lite-On and in Windows. Now I've got NEC and mostly do things in Linux. Thanks for your reply anyway...

tqhoang -> RE: UDF and Linux (2/1/2005 11:16:43 AM)

I recall that when I've mounted CD/DVD's in the past, that the kernel writes something to the console regarding UDF. You can check the exact debug string with "dmesg". Therefore I would say yes, but I don't have any UDF discs written to test it.

Although I'm wondering if it can only recognize a finalized CD/DVD that has the UDF file system on it.

Which kernel are you using? I'm running Fedora Core 2 with the latest 2.6.10-xxx kernel RPM.

foxy -> RE: UDF and Linux (2/1/2005 11:28:45 AM)

I run SuSE 9.2 with 2.6.10-xxx I'll try dmesg when I come home... Thanks.

xciwmff -> RE: UDF and Linux (2/1/2005 11:54:40 AM)

My UDF discs work fine with Debian.

tqhoang -> RE: UDF and Linux (2/1/2005 11:56:58 AM)

Are those discs finalized (ex: burn a UDF or ISO/UDF CD or DVD with Nero Burning ROM) or are they an in-progress InCD (or other packet writing) disc?

foxy -> RE: UDF and Linux (2/1/2005 11:59:42 AM)

in my case I used InCD....

xciwmff -> RE: UDF and Linux (2/1/2005 1:25:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tqhoang

Are those discs finalized (ex: burn a UDF or ISO/UDF CD or DVD with Nero Burning ROM) or are they an in-progress InCD (or other packet writing) disc?

I too used InCD. What's your fstab line for this drive? Not even sure if Suse has an fstab file, as I've never used it.

dburg -> RE: UDF and Linux (2/1/2005 1:37:09 PM)

InCD's UDF 1.02 to 2.01 discs should be read with success under Linux, at least that what we saw in our own tests.

UDF 2.50 is not supported by Linux hence InCD's discs formatted with this revision will not be readable by Linux. This is not an issue today as default UDF revision for CDs and DVDs are different from 2.50. This will soon be an issue with HD-DVD and BD who are likely to choose UDF 2.50 and/or 2.60 as standards. BD's recent DCN proposal to OSTA group was using UDF 2.50 for BD-ROM, -RE and non-POW -R, and UDF 2.60 for POW BD-R. This choice was approved by OSTA and included in UDF 2.60 document, itself expected to be official approved end of March.

There is no InCD Reader version for Linux so far. GPL license of current Linux UDF project makes it difficult for an ISVs to provide UDF support to Linux without given to competitors help you don't want to give them (or you'll get soon a business model issue[:(]).

Linux UDF project has unfortunately a certain amount of bugs, fortunately publically available at:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=295&atid=100295

Some are rather serious and marked with high priority. I fear that the project is currently missing an active developer to work on.

tqhoang -> RE: UDF and Linux (2/1/2005 1:41:20 PM)

I typically just mount devices manually, but you can probably change the appropriate /etc/fstab line for the CD/DVD drive to use "auto" as the filesystem type. It should probe and use the appropriate fs type. i.e. use UDF

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI