Taiyo Yuden Media (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media

bsugar -> Taiyo Yuden Media (10/4/2004 10:52:58 PM)

I just purchased an NEC 3500A and have been reviewing the forum for media. From the looks of it, the consensus is that Taiyo Yuden media is the best. Two questions. First, is this the best media? (I plan on backing up movies and data, but mostly movies.) Second, is there an online retailer than is preferred/trusted by members of the forum for purchasing Taiyo Yuden DVDs. There seems to be many rip-offs. I assume there is no 16x media out right now, so 8x would be fine. Thank you.

Iggy -> RE: Taiyo Yuden Media (10/5/2004 1:43:45 AM)

Taiyo Yuden media are indeed excellent. If a Taiyo Yuden media cannot be played from a player then noone else will. Go for them.

You'll find TY media also as That's or Plextor. However better tell us where you are located to help you.[:D][;)]

16X media are not currently available.

Bronzed -> RE: Taiyo Yuden Media (10/5/2004 2:24:19 AM)

I'm going to be ordering some TY media over the next couple of days, but was wondering what people generally find best for compatibility in players, especially with an unmodchipped XBox? So far I've only tried some TDK and Verbatim (can't buy TY locally, in fact there's nowhere nearby that sells DVD media at all), DVD+RW has worked, but DVD-RW and DVD+R (not booktype changes though) haven't.

It seems that +R is much more expensive too. Both TY and Ritek seems reasonable for -R, but I'll be paying twice as much for +R :(
In fact I haven't seen anywhere nearby selling TY +R at all.

emperor -> RE: Taiyo Yuden Media (10/5/2004 5:42:49 AM)

For best compatibility i would use Bitsetting for the burned discs, for sure increases compatibility

Bronzed -> RE: Taiyo Yuden Media (10/5/2004 7:24:35 AM)

So that would be +R with bitsetting to DVD-ROM? (sorry, only had a burner a few days)

emperor -> RE: Taiyo Yuden Media (10/5/2004 8:51:49 AM)

Yes, +R with DVD-ROM bitsetting offers the maximum compatibility

Bronzed -> RE: Taiyo Yuden Media (10/5/2004 9:52:27 AM)

I'll order some +R media, thanks for your help!

Iggy -> RE: Taiyo Yuden Media (10/5/2004 10:43:34 AM)

I always use +R with DVD-ROM booktype, never had problems.

Dolphinius_Rex -> RE: Taiyo Yuden Media (10/5/2004 12:31:44 PM)

I always use DVD-R and don't need to bitset [8D]

plimper -> RE: Taiyo Yuden Media (10/5/2004 1:41:01 PM)

I use this brand since i bought my old Pioneer 105.
I have burned i don't know probably over a thousand dvd-r's without problems at all.
Like one member said "If the dvd player don't play them none will!!!
Mostly i am in video editing (weddings,vaptisms,dvd - authoring services).
The Taiyo Yuden media kicks a** in general not only on dvd-r's but in cdr's.

bsugar -> RE: Taiyo Yuden Media (10/5/2004 6:53:57 PM)

Iggy,
Thank you for the reply. I live in the U.S. (North Carolina). What retailer in the U.S. would you recommend? Thank you again.

Bob

GenAn -> RE: Taiyo Yuden Media (10/6/2004 1:53:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bsugar

Iggy,
Thank you for the reply. I live in the U.S. (North Carolina). What retailer in the U.S. would you recommend? Thank you again.

Bob

If you're in the US, the best place to get TY media is http://www.rima.com, bar none. $30 for 50 8x +Rs. Madness!!!

Dolphinius_Rex -> RE: Taiyo Yuden Media (10/6/2004 3:25:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GenAn

quote:

ORIGINAL: bsugar

Iggy,

Bob

If you're in the US, the best place to get TY media is http://www.rima.com, bar none. $30 for 50 8x +Rs. Madness!!!

And if you buy 1,000pcs you can get them for $0.55 each.... [8D]

rrwantr -> RE: Taiyo Yuden Media (10/6/2004 7:35:57 PM)

I'm in California....Just purchased a 3500A and am looking to try a TY to see if it's compatible with my DVD players....where can I purchase a small pack at a reasonable price just for this purpose before buying 50 of them?

bsugar -> RE: Taiyo Yuden Media (10/6/2004 8:37:29 PM)

Ok. So second newbie question. It appears when you backup a movie, the size is typically above 5Gig without compression. As such, should I just wait for the price on the 8Gig (like the meritline 8Gig) media? I would rather not lose quality.

GenAn -> RE: Taiyo Yuden Media (10/6/2004 8:40:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rrwantr

I'm in California....Just purchased a 3500A and am looking to try a TY to see if it's compatible with my DVD players....where can I purchase a small pack at a reasonable price just for this purpose before buying 50 of them?

Here you go, these are the same discs that come bundled with retail Pioneer A07XLs and are TYG02s: http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=193056&catky=733455

Or, if you prefer +R, you can try these Plextor-branded T02s (I just got in a pack myself): http://www.winlandcomputer.com/scripts/details.asp?PRDCODE=DVD_SP8XDVD5PK

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI