CDRW cannot read in Windows but can boot (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives

martyp -> CDRW cannot read in Windows but can boot (10/9/2008 9:03:23 AM)

Please can someone offer a suggestion to this one...

It's an old CD-RW drive which can be used fine with boot CDs (XP install or Barts Universal Boot CD) but in Windows XP it cannot see the contents of any disc. It spins up like it's reading them but Windows shows as 0 bytes for files and free space on every disc with no contents in the window.
It does however have 'Write these files to CD' on the left hand side.

I've tried new firmware, changing to PIO only mode, MS Autorun repair tool, exiting all other apps, uninstalling and reinstalling. I know the cable etc are fine as it works to boot from. It just seems to be in Windows...

Any ideas anyone?

MP3Mogul -> RE: CDRW cannot read in Windows but can boot (10/9/2008 7:06:27 PM)

Try going into device manager and deleting the IDE channels and the rebooting...

martyp -> RE: CDRW cannot read in Windows but can boot (10/9/2008 7:27:14 PM)

Many thanks MP3Mogul, I shall give that a try. Is it safe to delete the primary and secondary IDE channels if the primary HD is on the primary IDE channel?

martyp -> RE: CDRW cannot read in Windows but can boot (10/9/2008 7:34:30 PM)

Strange - if I put an audio CD in I can play it in Windows Media Player...

I removed the option to write on that drive in its properties and in explorer it says it "Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk may be corrupt"?

MP3Mogul -> RE: CDRW cannot read in Windows but can boot (10/10/2008 6:42:19 PM)

Yes, it's safe to delete both channels, even with your primary HD on it...

martyp -> RE: CDRW cannot read in Windows but can boot (10/11/2008 9:43:12 AM)

many thanks for your help MP3Mogul. I tried deleting both IDE channels and when it rebooted it came up with the 'following file is missing or corrupt \CONFIG\SYSTEM' error. I think Windows was in such a state as it was my only option really to save all the fiddling around was to reinstall it again from the I386 folder on the drive. After doing that the CD drive was working fine. Goodness knows what it was, could have been Norton 2002/Nero/drivers. Not sure but it's fine now. I even carried on using the same user profile and it was ok...

MP3Mogul -> RE: CDRW cannot read in Windows but can boot (10/11/2008 11:45:53 AM)

Glad that you got it working again. 

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.660156E-02