RW unreadable on another PC (Full Version)

All Forums >> [In-House] >> FAQ

jrk -> RW unreadable on another PC (1/11/2008 5:17:15 AM)

I have three PCs and wish to use RW dics which I move between them.
I find I can generally read RWs fomatted/written on another PC but not then add data files to them.
(In one case I can't read it either; it wrongly reports an unused RW with the consequent risk that I may overwrite it.)

My PCs are
1.   A 3-year old IBM laptop with Windows XP(SP2) auto-updated and with 'Record Now'  pre-loaded.
2.   A new tower with Windows XP(SP2) auto-updated and with Nero Essentials.
3.   An old desk machine with Windows 98SE and VOB.

Main problem is that a DVD-RW formatted and written on (1) appears to be a blank disc on (2) - very dangerous.
Secondary problem is that I can't add files to a data DVD-RW written on any other machine, even if I can read it.

Is there a way to make all the RWs (a) readable (b) alterable on all three machines wherever they have been formatted/written?
I could upgrade the 98 machine to XP if that is relevent.
I am happy to put, say, Nero on all machines but I thought it was Windows that was doing the formatting?

MP3Mogul -> RE: RW unreadable on another PC (1/11/2008 7:21:00 AM)

You're going to need the same packet writing software on all 3, i.e. record now, or nero's InCD.

However, I don't suggest packet writing (this is what you're using) as it is "extremely" unreliable.

I would go with DVD RAM it's reliable and works the same as you are doing now.

SithTracy -> RE: RW unreadable on another PC (1/11/2008 7:22:57 AM)

Sounds to me like you are using Packet Writing... Nero's InCD to drag/drop data to your RW disc.  You need to insure that InCD is installed or the InCD reader... That said, I feel like I should tell you that Packet Writing is unreliable and I do not use it.  If you need to recover data on a RW disc done with Packet Writing software, consider investing $30 or so on IsoBuster.

Also, not sure if your optical drives are capable of reading/writing DVD-RAM disc, but if you want to drag/drop files, that is the only way to go IMO.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.464844E-02