With introduction of new GDDR4 chip, Samsung claims fastest graphics memory title for itself ! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Computer Graphics

SiliconFreak -> With introduction of new GDDR4 chip, Samsung claims fastest graphics memory title for itself ! (2/14/2006 12:07:24 PM)

Samsung Electronics today claimed that it has developed the world's fastest graphics memory – a GDDR4 graphics DRAM chip with much faster processing than an earlier version that Samsung prototyped only four months ago.

Designed with 80nm process technology, the device has a 12.8GB/sec processing speed, 30% faster than the company’s previous prototype, which allows it to transfer the equivalent of up to six DVD-quality movies every second. The 512Mbit GDDR4 graphics DRAM comes with 32 input/output pins, each of which transfers data at 3.2Gbit/sec. In October, Samsung completed samples of a 256Mbit GDDR4 that processed video (and accompanying audio) at 10GB per second.

The computer industry is expected to greatly accelerate its switchover from 32-bit to 64-bit computing in the second half of 2006, which will trigger a surge in demand for GDDR4 chips, the company sated.

Market watchers predict that sales of graphics chipsets, which represent the largest portion of the graphics memory market, will reach US$2.7 billion this year, up 10% from US$2.5 billion in 2005. Further, the graphics DRAM market is forecast to grow 27% year this year to US$1.9 billion, from US$1.5 billion in 2005.

Source : DigiTimes

Clint -> RE: With introduction of new GDDR4 chip, Samsung claims fastest graphics memory title for itself ! (2/15/2006 12:45:13 PM)

What would be interesting is the operating frequency of these chips - can we break into the 2.0GHz barrier with DDR yet (set from the factory, not OC'd with liquid nitrogen or something crazy ass)?!?

SiliconFreak -> RE: With introduction of new GDDR4 chip, Samsung claims fastest graphics memory title for itself ! (2/15/2006 5:45:44 PM)

By my opinion...NO...[:)] But...who really cares about operating frequencies...overall speed/bandwidth is what really counts...at least to me...[8D] Because I dont care if my memory works @ 1 or 10Ghz...I just know I will always pick the one that i.e. gives me 30Gbps over 10Gbps of bandwidth...and if that can be acchieved @ 1Ghz....even better.....(cause it will also give me much more room for OC'ing [:D])....

Clint -> RE: With introduction of new GDDR4 chip, Samsung claims fastest graphics memory title for itself ! (2/17/2006 1:29:10 PM)

True, but the more cycles /s means greater bandwidth also, which counts to you...

SiliconFreak -> RE: With introduction of new GDDR4 chip, Samsung claims fastest graphics memory title for itself ! (2/17/2006 3:37:52 PM)

Agree...[:D][;)]

...but if i.e. you use 64bit data bus...you will get 2 times (well almost[;)]) the bandwidth than with 32bit data bus (if everything else is the same)....so if they can acchieve i.e. 10Gbps bandwidth @ 32bits @ 1Ghz....then @ 64bits it would be almost 20Gbps....[;)] And thats what counts to me...FINAL RESULT...[:D]...and i dont care much how do they acchieve that...only results/final performance counts....[;)] They can use atomic energy if they want...hahahahhaa....(and import it from Iran [8D][:D])....or use nanotechnology....where 1 atom transmits 1bit of data (or much more....dont know how far are they lately....[:)])....all i wanna see is REAL PERFORMANCE on my computer...thats all....no tests....no paper launches...nothing...just BRUTAL SPEEDDDDDDDDDD...[8D][:D]

And like I said...whether they use 5Ghz frequency or some old XT's few Hz's...I dont care....[:D]

Enjoy...[;)]

Clint -> RE: With introduction of new GDDR4 chip, Samsung claims fastest graphics memory title for itself ! (2/20/2006 2:08:25 AM)

LOL you have some strange thoughts my man!

You can rest easy as 64/128-bit buses are already apart of high(er) end card design these days. [;)]

SiliconFreak -> RE: With introduction of new GDDR4 chip, Samsung claims fastest graphics memory title for itself ! (2/20/2006 5:47:27 AM)

hahahaha....i am resting...dont worry...with beers in my hands....and sexy babe in bikini in between...[8D][:D]

I know very well about buses in today's graphic cards mannnnnnnn (btw, need to correct you...256bit buses (not just 64/128 ones) are in today's high end cards - and 512 ring-bus memory controllers also [:)])....hahahaha....i used that 32&64bits just as an example...[;)]

Finally...like i said...I dont care how they acchieve better speed/bandwidth/performance...either with higher frequencies or with some magic powder....[:D]...all I care about is final overall performance and price...[;)]

Peace m8....[:D][;)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI