SATA Hard Disk Setup routine (Full Version)

All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> General Hardware Issues

Dimitris32 -> SATA Hard Disk Setup routine (11/17/2005 12:04:50 PM)

Hello,

although I 've built & upgraded several systems, I have never so far had the opportunity to work with SATA hard drives.

Do these require a special setup routine during Windows XP Pro SP2 installation in newly built systems?

I was reading on a website some time that someone had to copy some drivers from the Windows XP CD, boot with a bootable floppy, install them, and then, after restart, start the normal Windows installation.  Is this correct, and if so, does it apply to all boards?  Is there not a faster way (e.g., installing them the way IDE drives are installed, connect the cables and off you go)?  :) 

Regards,

Dimitris

Antonio -> RE: SATA Hard Disk Setup routine (11/17/2005 1:34:59 PM)

I have also heard some people to have problems but in general SATA is good but don't expect noticable improved performance from PATA hard disks. If you need optimum performance look for Raptor series of WD at 10000rpm.

When installing a new OS, yes, you need drivers if you want the SATA drive to be the bootable. I have a PATA for my OS and I plan to get a SATA for backups.[:)]

Dimitris32 -> RE: SATA Hard Disk Setup routine (11/17/2005 4:43:36 PM)

So, what is the setup routine like?

MP3Mogul -> RE: SATA Hard Disk Setup routine (11/17/2005 7:09:55 PM)

Running a simple program that will come with the setup disc included when you purchase the drive... SIMPLE....

Dimitris32 -> RE: SATA Hard Disk Setup routine (11/18/2005 8:30:36 PM)

So, do all SATA drives come with a driver floppy/CD?

Does one have to install the drivers in all motherboard brands before the Windows installation, or some motherboards (e.g., Asus) do not require this and detect the drive straightaway?

Zebadee -> RE: SATA Hard Disk Setup routine (11/19/2005 5:18:16 AM)

Hi [:)]
I have a Asus m/b. The drivers from SATA are included on m/b cd. Has a section create floppy, on Windows installation press f6 to install additional drives from floppy. If adding to existing  Windows setup just add/remove h/w with cd inserted.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.515625E-02