Symantec patches AntiVirus ! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News

SiliconFreak -> Symantec patches AntiVirus ! (4/29/2005 8:19:13 AM)

Hole in the system...[&:]

Member of the BSA, Symantec has patched a security hole which it found in its anti-virus software.

The vulnerability exists in the Windows version of the Symantec Antivirus component which tests RAR files for viruses.

Symantec has said that the security consequences of the hole are small. All it does is cause the decomposer component to crash when a unique RAR file is received for decomposing and scanning.

However, technically malicious content placed inside such a configured RAR file to bypass the initial AV software scans. , This might work if the virus is picked up later by the RealTime Virus Scan / Auto-Protect function.

The vulnerability has been traced to a particular component build environment that was only used for a limited period, so it is uncertain how many versions of the software suffer from it.

You can read all about it on the Symantec website here.

Source : TheInquirer

SithTracy -> RE: Symantec patches AntiVirus ! (4/29/2005 11:29:22 AM)

It amazes me that Symantec still seems to be the most popular virus scanner on the market. They have compatition and there are some great products... Unfortunatly they are not from Symantec or McAfee....

I am currently using the Personal Pro product from Kaspersky Lab. It is a great and likely thes best I have used... Trend Micro's isn't bad either... but Symantec, their time is done. They are just floating on the Norton name.

MP3Mogul -> RE: Symantec patches AntiVirus ! (4/29/2005 2:23:10 PM)

Naw,

I tend to disagree with that. I use Norton, and have tried the others, and always came back to norton. EVERYTHING is vulnerable, hackers make it their mission to exploit things like this. It's still the greatest AV software ever.

SiliconFreak -> RE: Symantec patches AntiVirus ! (4/29/2005 6:25:16 PM)

Calm down guys...its my turn now...[:)][;)]

So....I use MCAFEE Internet security suite (with AntiVirus,Firewall,Personal Privacy and Spam Killer - cause I rather have complete package from one manufacturer than i.e. VirusScan from Norton, Firewall from McAfee, AntiSpam from Kaspersky Labs,...[:)][;)]) and so far everything works NICEEEEEEEEEE....updates are coming out almost on a daily basis...so the protection is really up-to-date (although -as MP3Mogul said- nothing is 100% not at MCAFEE not at any other AV software makers!). Norton is also good choice (had it before MCAFEE and also worked very good!), and I heard that Kaspersky Labs is also ok (havent tried it yet, but some of my friends use it and said its working ok). Like SithTracy said...there are also many others great AV scanners on the market...so I guess its up to each individual to decide which one to use. [;)]

MP3Mogul -> RE: Symantec patches AntiVirus ! (4/29/2005 6:55:38 PM)

And users's of Norton should not even concern themselves at all.... as if you run LIVEUPDATE it will automatically patch the problem in the first place... as Norton "ALWAYS" makes the patch and then tells you what happened....[:D][;)]

SiliconFreak -> RE: Symantec patches AntiVirus ! (4/29/2005 7:13:55 PM)

[:)][;)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.660156E-02